Monday, June 25, 2007

Language

My attempts at speaking Malayalum are not so much appreciated as they are misunderstood and laughed at. Everyone asks us over and over again if we are going to learn their language. It’s interesting, this is the first locale I have traveled to where people are so intent on you learning their language-in fact in Romania I was reprimanded many times by older adults for wasting my time learning their language which could only be spoken in their country. We actually have felt a little pressured by it because there is no way we will be even a little bit proficient in Malayalum at the end of seven weeks. It is almost a tonal language, spoken very quickly, with all vowel sounds being pronounced in the back of your mouth. When you listen to it, it sounds like very rapid mumbling. Based on our efforts to repeat words, we are pretty sure that our ears are simply not picking up a lot of the sounds of the language. It is incredibly difficult. I am now MOSTLY understood when I say “thank you” and “hello” – but that has taken me 3 whole days. Wow.
An “invaluable companion”
While I was in Ernakulam I found a small English-Malayalum phrase book, thinking it would be a handy little item to have. It has been handy, although not for language, mostly just for comic relief. This phrase book had to have been written by someone who has never traveled outside of their home language. Some of the basics, like greetings, “my name is”, “what is that?” and “thank you” are missing. However, I AM able to say, “What is the history behind these paintings?” and “Why don’t you enlighten me on something else instead?”. What?!!?! Craziness.
I do think, though, the crowning achievement of the book lies in the glossary at the back of the book. There seems to be a bizarre theme that runs in it. I’ll list my favorites and let you decide on the theme:
Abortion (the very first entry!)
Birth control
Contraceptive
Defecate
Euthanasia
Faeces
Laxative
Menstruation
Miscarriage
Oral
Period (punctuation? Allotment of time? Something else?)
Sex
Undress
Urinate
Venereal Disease

Anyone want to learn Malayalum?

The Head Bob
I think when I return I will make my fortune selling Indian Bobble-head dolls in Kerala. One of the biggest communication snafus around here is the Malayalum head bob. It is done to signal agreement, understanding and a simple yes, but it looks suspiciously like someone shaking their head “no”. The motion involves a swoop of the neck, right ear to right shoulder, then left ear to left shoulder and back again. I cannot tell you how wild it is to watch Mohanan bob his head back and forth as we talk with him. I always think he does not like what we are saying, or that he disagrees totally. The head bob also applies in stores when someone offers us something or tell us the price. If we nod OK then nothing happens, if we try out the head bob then things start happening.

1 comment:

Rachel B said...

OK, i think the list of new vocab is my fav. I would like to learn the lanuguage, so please bring the vocab book home...miss you love you and i am glad you are having fun! Rachel B